Our homegrown zucchini took a while to gain steam this year. I’ve harvested exactly three dark green beauties from our garden, and here it is almost September. This time last year we had the opposite problem, with summer squash practically coming out of our ears.
I found myself sneaking squash into everything from quick pasta dishes to vegetable soups, to super chocolatey quick bread, in an effort to combat the onslaught of our extremely prolific zucchini and golden pattypan harvest.
This season it’s a different story, with zucchini keeping up a more reasonable appearance schedule at our table.
Easy summer squash grain salads have been a favorite – a base of brown rice (or other grain of choice) with quickly sautéed zucchini, yellow squash, and sweet yellow corn, all under a blanket of salty, crumbly feta, and a sprinkling of fresh chives and basil.
Just about any grain you like will work here. My version is made with brown rice, something we always have on hand, and eat in some form or another just about every week, but quinoa, millet, wheat berries, even orzo would all be delicious.
Goat cheese would work nicely in place of the feta, for a tangy complement to the sweet corn and tender squash. A few cherry tomatoes or chopped green onions thrown into the mix wouldn’t be a bad thing, either.
Simply seasoned with salt and pepper, olive oil and butter, this healthy and filling veggie salad is a lovely mix of fresh, end-of-Summer flavors. Enjoy!
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, warm or at room-temperature
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sweet yellow corn
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives, minced
- small handful, fresh basil, roughly chopped
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat until melted. Add the zucchini and yellow squash, and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the corn, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the cooked brown rice to a large bowl, and top with the vegetables. Sprinkle on the feta, chives, and basil. Gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, as needed. Serve warm or at room-temperature.