One of my very favorite salads is also the simplest: the classic wedge salad. A quarter of a head of iceberg drizzled with good, chunky blue cheese dressing and often topped with crumbles of crispy bacon and translucently-thin slivers of red onion, the wedge salad is perfection in simplicity. Choose the best blue cheese you can find – I used an utterly divine Point Reyes Farmstead Blue with luscious dark veining and a rich, deep flavor. The buttermilk adds a sweet tang to this creamy, thick dressing that comes together in minutes and is sure to replace the usual store-bought variety.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup (4 oz) good blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbs chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- Add the buttermilk, sour cream and mayonnaise to a mixing bowl and stir until well-combined. Add the blue cheese and mix together, using the backside of a spoon to mash the blue cheese into the buttermilk mixture. Some chunks of blue cheese should remain. Add the chives, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Serve over a wedge of iceberg lettuce to create a classic wedge salad, or use with your favorite recipe within 4 days (stored in the refrigerator).