Happy Friday! If you are still looking for a great dessert to celebrate the mom(s) in your life this Sunday, may we suggest going the simple route, and whipping up this quick and scrumptious berries and cream dessert, with a slight Italian twist. We top fresh, macerated strawberries – soaked in a bit of sugar – with a generous dollop of sweet mascarpone whipped cream and a sprinkling of mint for a light and lovely end to a meal.
Have a delicious weekend!
For the Macerated Strawberries
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup white sugar
For the Mascarpone Cream
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese (sweet, Italian-style cream cheese), at room-temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, very cold
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the strawberries and sugar. Set aside, and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a hand-mixer or stand-up mixer with the whisk attachment, on medium speed, blend together the mascarpone cheese and 1 tbsp of the powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Spoon into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Pour the cream and the remaining sugar into the original mixing bowl and blend on high-speed just until stiff peaks form, about a minute or two. Turn the mixer off and carefully fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture. Add the lemon zest and gently stir to combine.
- Divide the strawberries among four small plates or bowls and top with the mascarpone cream and a sprinkle of fresh mint. Serve immediately.
The longer the strawberries and sugar sit, the more juices will be extracted. If you have time, the strawberries can be prepared in advance and sit up to a day soaking in the refrigerator.