Over the weekend the Honey and I brought home a little rescue puppy named Mack. His mama was found abandoned on the side of the road, very pregnant, and taken to a high-kill shelter. She and her pups were saved by a local rescue group who raised the puppies and is working to find good homes for all of them. We have fallen in love with our adorable Christmas puppy.
Getting our little guy settled in and house-broken has also meant some early mornings and not-so-restful nights. This vanilla honey French toast is the perfect pick-me-up for sleepy early mornings, such as today, spent waiting cold and bleary-eyed in the dewy grass for Mack to wander across the very perfect spot to go (remind me again why we got the puppy in November?).
- 8 slices challah bread (or brioche or thick bread)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Beat the eggs together with the milk and cream. Add the vanilla, honey and cinnamon and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt half of the butter. Meanwhile, soak each piece of bread in the egg mixture for 5-10 seconds. When the butter begins to shimmer, add the bread to the skillet, leaving space between each piece. Cook for 2-3 minutes, each side, until the toast is golden brown.
- Place the cooked pieces of toast on a cookie sheet in the oven to stay warm while cooking the remaining pieces. Serve warm with butter, maple syrup or jam, and fresh berries.