Here’s a quick and easy, last-minute recipe for perfect-every-time Herbed Buttermilk Smashed Potatoes, just in time for the big feast tomorrow.
Happy Thanksgiving from the Swoon Kitchen!
- 1–1/2 lbs red potatoes, skins on, washed and scrubbed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary, removed from stems and minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, removed from stems and minced
- 1–1/2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes and salt in a large pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Using two forks, smash the potaoes until they break down. Meanwhile, combine the buttermilk and herbs together. Slowly add the buttermilk to the potatoes and continue to smash. Stir in the sour cream and butter and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve warm with extra butter.