- 4 lbs campari tomatoes, roasted (see recipe here)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbs fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 16 oz chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 6oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
- 10–12 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, add olive oil, onion, salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add roasted tomatoes, lemon, and basil. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, red wine and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken stock and red pepper flakes. When mixture comes to a boil, turn heat down to low, and let simmer, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes or up to an hour.
- For a smoother texture, remove soup from heat and puree with an immersion blender. Or, for a more rustic, chunky soup, simply serve hot, with fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese to garnish.
The spice level can be adjusted by adding more or less or the red pepper flakes. This recipe can be made vegetarian by substituting vegetable stock for the chicken stock.