For the Meatballs
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves, finely minced
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely minced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, finely minced
- 2 tsp fresh lemongrass, finely minced
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1-2 serrano or jalapeno chiles (choose according to your spice comfort level), minced
- zest of one lime
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 lb ground chicken
For the Red Pepper Curry Sauce
- 1 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 tbsp hot red curry paste
- 2-3 tbsp unsweetened coconut milk
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients – with the exception of the chicken – until well combined. Gently fold the spice mixture into the chicken until evenly distributed. Form into 1-1/2-inch meatballs (about 18-20 total) and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the meatballs are golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the Red Pepper Curry Sauce. In a food-processor, blend together the peppers and the curry paste. With the food-processor on, slowly add the coconut milk, a tablespoon at a time, until the sauce is smooth and at your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve the meatballs warm, with the sauce.
You can generally find jars or tubes of fresh chopped garlic, ginger and lemongrass in the produce section of most grocery stores near the fresh herbs and spices.