Sweet and easy berry crumble for two. These irresistible mini crumbles combine juicy mixed berries with a buttery brown sugar oat crumb topping. Quick to make, endlessly adaptable, and perfect for sharing! Gluten-free and vegan friendly.
- 2 cups mixed berries ¹
- 1 Tbsp (13g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1–2 tsp arrowroot starch ²
- 1/4 cup (22g) rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp (15g) all-purpose flour ³
- 2 Tbsp (25g) light brown sugar, packed
- pinch Kosher salt
- 1–1/2 Tbsp (21g) unsalted butter, softened ⁴
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Lightly grease two mini ramekins with butter or baking spray and place on a small rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- Make the filling: In a medium mixing bowl, toss together the berries, sugar, lemon, vanilla, and arrowroot starch, if using. Set aside.
- Make the crumble topping: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt, until combined.
- Add the butter, and use a pastry blender, the back of a large fork, or your fingers to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Continue until the butter is completely incorporated, and the mixture comes together into a chunky crumb.
- Divide the berries between the two ramekins and top with the crumb topping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the crumble topping is golden brown and the berry juices are bubbling around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!!
¹ You can use any combination of berries that you prefer, fresh or frozen. If using frozen berries, double the starch and add a couple of minutes to the baking time.
² Arrowroot starch is my favorite pie and fruit filling thickener. It creates a smooth, shiny sauce without a noticeable added taste. As a second choice, you can also substitute cornstarch or tapioca flour. Or, omit the starch, and enjoy a saucier crumble!
³ Make these crumbles gluten-free by substituting all-purpose gluten free flour and making sure your rolled oats are GF as well.
⁴ Make them vegan by using plant based butter (such as Miyokos or Earth Balance buttery baking sticks).
Keywords: berry crumble for two, mixed berry, berry crisp, small batch, individual crumble