A sweet plum crisp with a brown butter oat crumble topping. A perfect dessert for late-Summer and early-Fall. Easy to make, with simple ingredients, and always delicious. Gluten-free and vegan friendly.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Lightly grease a 9×9-inch baking dish with butter or baking spray. Set aside.
- Brown the butter: Melt the butter in a light-colored medium skillet over medium heat. Once the butter begins to foam, begin whisking often. The foam will dissipate after a minute or two. Begin whisking continuously until golden flecks start to form in the bottom of the pan, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and continue whisking for another minute or so until the butter is a rich amber color with a fragrant, nutty aroma. (Carefully) pour the brown butter into another heat proof bowl (I typically use a glass measuring cup) to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Make the filling: In a medium mixing bowl, gently toss the plums with 1/2 cup brown sugar. Stir in the vanilla and arrowroot, until evenly coated. Set aside.
- Make the crisp topping: In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, salt, cinnamon, and remaining brown sugar. Drizzle with the brown butter, and stir until the mixture is crumbly and completely moistened.
- Add the plums (and juices) to the baking dish in an even layer, and top with the crumbs.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the plums are soft and fragrant, the top is golden brown with juices bubbling up around the edges. Cover as needed with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes for a juicier crisp, or up to 45 minutes for a more set up fill-in. Both options are delicious! Serve warm with scoops of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!!
- If you’d like some more crunch in your crisp topping, feel free to add in a handful of chopped nuts – walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc. (1/4 to 1/2 cup)
- If your plums are very sweet, the filling can benefit from a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Keywords: plum crisp, brown butter, plum crumble, fruit dessert, easy,