A healthy and hearty roasted butternut soup recipe that combines roasted butternut squash with sweet apples, fennel, onion, garlic, and good stock. Deliciously creamy (without any cream) and perfect for cozy fall/winter dinners. Gluten free and vegan friendly.
Butternut Squash, Apple and Fennel Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1–2 Tbsp walnut oil, plus more for serving ¹
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 medium (about 1–1/2 cups) fennel bulb, stalks removed and diced
- 1 large (about 2 cups) sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 1 large (about 2 cups) apple, peeled and diced
- 4 cups roasted butternut squash, recipe follows
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
Roasted Butternut Squash
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1-inch cubes ²
- olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper
Roast the butternut squash
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Arrange the the squash in an even layer on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan, and toss with just enough olive oil to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, tossing half-way through, until the squash is fork-tender and just beginning to brown. Set aside.
Make the roasted butternut squash soup
- Heat the olive and walnut oils in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the fennel and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally until just softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the apple, and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, sage, and thyme to the pot, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 more minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring just to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and simmer gently for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat, and using a high speed blender or an immersion blender, blend until smooth and creamy. The soup will be hot! Serve warm with crispy bread, and a drizzle of walnut oil. Enjoy!!
¹ The walnut oil adds a subtle nuttiness and flavor that I love (something similar to a brown butter). If you’d prefer not to use it, you can simply use all olive oil instead.
² Depending on the size of your butternut squash, you may end up with slightly more roasted squash than you need for the soup. The squash can be roasted up to a week in advance and kept refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to use.
Keywords: roasted butternut squash soup, butternut squash soup with fennel, apple, vegan, creamy, easy, vegetable soup