- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter*
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 5 cups rich chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup dry ditalini (or other favorite) pasta
- 2 cups (loosely packed) baby kale
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the butternut squash, and cook, turning occasionally, until just beginning to brown and soften, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer the butternut squash to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, and just beginning to brown. Add the garlic, and cook for another minute or two. Add the butter, and as it melts, stir in the herbs. Let cook for another minute or two until the onions are lightly golden.
- Add the butternut squash back to the pot, along with the stock, and stir to combine. Cover, and bring the stock just to a boil, then turn the heat down to low, add the pasta, and let simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked al dente. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the kale, and continue to simmer until warmed through, about 3-5 minutes. Serve warm with crusty bread.
Make it vegan: omit the butter or use vegan butter (such as Earth Balance).
Make it gluten free: choose a gluten free pasta brand, such as Jovial.