An easy, comforting recipe for butternut squash noodle soup with kale, ditalini pasta, and a flavorful, garlic and herb broth. Quick and easy, and perfect for cozy dinners. Vegetarian and vegan/gluten free friendly.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter ¹
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 5 cups rich chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup dry ditalini pasta ²
- 2 cups baby kale leaves
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the butternut squash, and cook, turning occasionally, until just beginning to caramelize and soften, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer the butternut squash to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, and just beginning to color. Add the garlic, and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the butter, and as it melts, stir in the herbs. Let cook for another minute or two until the onions are lightly golden.
- Add the butternut squash back to the pot, along with the stock, and stir to combine. Cover, and bring the stock just to a boil, then turn the heat down to low, add the pasta, and let simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked al dente. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the kale, and continue to simmer until warmed through, about 3-5 minutes. If using a more delicate green, such as spinach, add right before serving. Serve warm with crusty bread. Enjoy!!
¹ Make it vegan: use all olive oil, omit the butter completely, or use vegan butter (such as Earth Balance spread).
² Ditalini is a favorite pasta shape for soups, but feel free to use another small macaroni shape. For a gluten free soup, simply swap the pasta for a gluten free version such as Jovial.
³ Feel free to substitute spinach, Swiss chard, or your favorite tender green for the kale.
Keywords: butternut squash noodle soup, butternut squash soup recipe, ditalini, butternut squash and kale, vegetable noodle soup, vegan, fall vegetable, tuscan