Soft and chewy no chill chocolate chip cookies with gooey, super chocolate-y centers and perfectly crisp edges. Butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and two kinds of chocolate combine for lots of classic, nostalgic flavor, and with zero chill time, these easy cookies are ideal for last-minute cookie cravings (ready in 30 minutes!). Gluten-free friendly.
- 1/2 cup (113g or 1 stick) unsalted butter, at room-temperature ¹
- 3/4 cup (150g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1–3/4 cups (210g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled ²
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt ³
- 3.5 oz (100g) bittersweet chocolate bar (60-70% cacao), roughly chopped ⁴
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line a couple of large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, until well-combined. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugars on medium speed until creamy and well-combined, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed about halfway through.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, and mix until creamy and combined, about another minute.
- Turn the mixer down to low speed, and spoon in the flour mixture until just combined and no streaks of flour remain. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- The dough should be thick and slightly sticky but easily scoopable. Use a cookie scoop to scoop and shape the dough into equal 2 Tbsp sized cookie dough balls (about 55g each).
- Place on your prepared baking sheets, and bake in batches for 10-12 minutes until the edges are golden and the centers look mostly done.
- Remove from the oven, and immediately top each cookie with a few extra chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (it will melt and create those chocolate puddles!).
- Let rest on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies will continue to cook and set up as they cool. Enjoy!!
¹ Room-temperature butter should be soft to the touch but not mushy or melted, about 68 to 70℉.
² Make them gluten-free: Use an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend such as Bob’s Red Mill.
³ For most baking I recommend using Diamond Crystal Kosher salt. These cookies are also wonderful with a sprinkling of flake sea salt (such as Maldon) warm from the oven. Reduce the Kosher salt to 1/2 tsp if you plan to go that route.
⁴ For this recipe, a semisweet/bittersweet chocolate in the 60-70% cacao range works best. However, you can certainly choose your own adventure when it comes to the chocolate, using whichever type and shape you prefer! White chocolate, milk chocolate, entirely chocolate chips or chopped bar chocolate, féves, chunks, etc., just note that chip size and gram conversion may vary.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, no chill chocolate chip cookies, chewy chocolate chip cookies, double chocolate