A totally indulgent homemade s’mores tart that combines all the classic elements of campfire s’mores: a cinnamon-spiced graham cracker crust and a gooey chocolate ganache filling, topped with big swirls of toasted marshmallow meringue. You won’t be able to resist this delicious and nostalgic treat! Gluten free and dairy free friendly.
for the graham cracker crust:
- 1–1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs ¹
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted ²
for the chocolate ganache filling:
- 1–1/4 cups heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 12 oz bittersweet chocolate (60-70% cacao), chopped
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
for the marshmallow meringue: ³
- 8 large egg whites
- 1–3/4 cups organic cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Make the graham cracker crust:
- Preheat the oven to 375℉.
- Use a food-processor to pulse together the graham crumbs, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Drizzle in the melted butter and pulse a few times until well-combined.
- Spoon the crumbs into a 9-inch tart pan, preferably with a removable bottom. Press firmly into an even layer along the bottom and sides of the pan. The flat bottom of a measuring cup works well for this.
- Place on a rimmed sheet plan to catch any leaks. Bake for 5-7 minutes, until the crust is golden and set.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a baking rack.
Make the chocolate ganache filling:
- Add the cream or coconut milk to a large, heavy-bottomed sauce pot over medium heat. Bring just to a simmer, then remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Continue stirring until the chocolate is completely melted, and the ganache is smooth and shiny. Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the ganache into the cooled graham cracker crust and smooth out the top with an offset spatula. Gently tap the bottom once or twice against the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Let cool on a baking rack until set, about 2 hours, or about an hour in the refrigerator. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Make the marshmallow meringue:
- Add 1-1/2 inches of water to a 3-quart pot, and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. It’s helpful to place a crumbled ring of aluminum foil in the bottom to help prop up the mixing bowl.
- Combine the egg whites, sugar, salt, and cream of tarter in the bowl of a stand mixer and place over the water.
- Working constantly, stir and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula until the mixture is thin and foamy, and reaches 175℉. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the bowl to a stand up mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Starting on low speed and working up to high speed, beat until the meringue is light and glossy with stiff peaks, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla. Immediately add to the s’mores tart (see below).
Assemble the s’mores tart:
- Generously spoon the marshmallow meringue over the chilled ganache, adding swirls with a flexible or offset spatula.
- Use a kitchen torch to (carefully) toast the marshmallow meringue.
- Alternatively, place on a pan on the middle rack of the oven and broil for 1-2 minutes, until the meringue is golden and toasted. Watch it like a hawk to be sure it doesn’t burn too quickly!
- Best served immediately, but will keep refrigerated and tightly covered for a few days. Enjoy!!
¹ Make a gluten free s’mores tart: use gluten free graham crackers in the crust – everything else is naturally gluten free. You can buy graham cracker crumbs or make your own using approximately 9 graham cracker sheets. Pulse together in a food processor until finely crushed.
² Make it dairy free: use vegan butter (such as EarthBalance) in the graham cracker crust, and use canned coconut milk in the chocolate ganache filling. Look for brands that have just two ingredients: coconut/coconut cream and water. My personal favorite is Golden Star.
³ Marshmallow meringue from BraveTart by Stella Parks.
Keywords: s'mores tart, chocolate ganache, toasted marshmallow, marshmallow meringue, coconut ganache, graham cracker crust, dessert, s'more, leftover egg whites, dairy free, gluten free, pie