These super easy bakery style dark chocolate banana muffins are a sweet and indulgent breakfast treat, require just one bowl to make, and turn over-ripe bananas into chocolate-y bliss!
- 1 cup (about 2 medium) bananas, over-ripe
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg ¹
- 1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk ²
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (look for dutch-processed)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1–1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1–2/3 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 cup miniature chocolate chips (bittersweet or semisweet)
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or lightly grease with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use the back of a fork to mash the banana until only very small lumps remain.
- Add the vanilla and the egg and use the fork to whisk the mixture together until completely combined.
- Add the oil and milk and stir to combine. Add the white and brown sugars and stir again.
- Switching to a spatula, stir in the cocoa powder, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Mix until the cocoa is completely incorporated.
- Stir in the salt and baking soda, then gently fold in the flour, until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups, about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until the muffin tops are gently domed, and a cake-tester inserted into the center of each muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes, before removing and cooling completely on a baking rack. Enjoy!!
¹ You can replace the egg with a flax egg for vegan gingerbread muffins. Simply stir together 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed with 2.5 Tbsp water in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes while you’re getting the rest of the ingredients together (it will thicken up), and add to the batter in place of the egg.
² If you’d prefer not to use almond milk, substitute your favorite dairy or non-dairy milk instead.
Keywords: chocolate banana muffins, one bowl, easy, banana, dairy free, banana muffins, chocolate chip