These easy bakery style dark chocolate pumpkin muffins are tender and flavorful, and come together in just one bowl – no mixer required – for the perfect deliciously spiced Fall breakfast treat!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree ¹
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup milk ²
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder ³
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal)
- 1–1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1–2/3 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- optional: 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or grease lightly with baking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together the pumpkin, vanilla, and egg in a large mixing bowl until completely combined. Stir in the olive oil and milk. Add the sugars, and whisk until smooth.
- Using a spatula, stir in the cocoa powder, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Mix until the cocoa is completely incorporated. Stir in the salt and baking soda, then gently fold in the flour, until just combined and no streaks of flour remain. Be careful not to over mix.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups, about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Bake for 15-18 minutes, rotating once, until the muffin tops are nicely domed, and a cake-tester inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes, before removing and cooling completely on a baking rack. Serve warm or at room-temperature. Enjoy!!
¹ Look for plain canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. You can make your own by roasting a small sugar/pie pumpkin, but the consistency may be different than store bought. I use Libby’s.
² Use your milk of choice. I prefer unsweetened almond milk for this recipe.
- Category: Baking, Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate pumpkin muffins, pumpkin, butternut squash, dark chocolate, one bowl, easy, chocolate chip, muffin, dairy free, bakery style