An easy chicken noodle soup recipe, packed with classic flavor, and ready in under an hour. This healthy, comforting, homemade soup is full of tender chicken, chunky vegetables, curly egg noodles, fresh herbs, and a nourishing, flavorful broth. Ideal for weeknights. Gluten and dairy-free friendly.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion (about 1–1/2 cups), diced
- 3–4 medium carrots (about 1 cup), diced or thinly-sliced
- 3 large stalks celery (about 1/2 cup), diced or thinly-sliced
- 2 garlic cloves (about 1/2 Tbsp), minced
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 6 cups (48 oz) low-sodium chicken stock, top-quality
- 2 cups (3 oz) wide egg noodles
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or torn into bite-sized pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh dill and chives (or your favorite fresh herb), for serving
- grated Parmesan, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant, 4-5 mins.
- Add the garlic, and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the butter, and as it melts, stir in the herbs. Let cook for another minute or two until the onions are lightly golden.
- Pour in the stock, and stir to combine. Cover, and bring the stock to a boil, then turn the heat down to low, and let simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the noodles, and continue to simmer until al dente, another 7-10 minutes. Add the chicken 3-4 minutes before serving, or until warmed through.
- Divide between bowls, top with fresh dill and chives (or your favorite fresh herb), a dusting of grated Parmesan, and serve with hunks of crusty bread. Enjoy!!
- Variations: add 1-2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice for a lemony twist, or add 1-1/2 cups of fresh kale or spinach along with the chicken for a more vegetable-heavy soup. For extra flavor and umami, add a Parmesan rind along with the chicken stock. If adding a bay leaf, be sure to discard before serving.
- Note: This soup is on the chunkier side. If you prefer more broth ratio – add 1-2 additional cups of low-sodium chicken broth.
- Make it dairy-free: swap the butter for olive oil and skip the Parmesan.
- Make it egg-free: use traditional macaroni pasta.
- Make it gluten-free: use a gluten-free pasta, such as Jovial. You could even swap for equal parts cooked rice.
Keywords: easy chicken noodle soup, homemade chicken soup, weeknight soup, rotisserie chicken