- 1 lb fettuccine pasta
- 1 butternut squash (2- 3lbs), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for serving
- In a large braising pot, melt 4 tbsp of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the butternut squash in a single layer, and cook, without stirring, for 6-8 minutes, until the bottoms begin to brown. Stir the squash and cook for another 2-4 minutes, until all sides are caramelized.
- Add the garlic, chicken stock, salt and pepper, cover and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the squash is fork-tender. Remove the squash from the pan, and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan. When the butter melts and begins to shimmer, add the onion, sage, thyme and nutmeg. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the squash back to the pan and add the lemon juice and parsley. Stir to combine, and cook until heated through.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, according to package instructions, until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta and cooking liquid to the sauce and toss well. Serve warm with grated Parmesan cheese.