A fresh, healthy recipe for Pea and Ricotta Tartines with Spring Vegetables, perfect for Spring.
- 4 slices of bread, 1/2-inch thick and toasted
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- 1/2 cup skim ricotta
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 4–6 tender asparagus stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 green onions, white parts sliced into thin strips
- a handful of fresh parsley, watercress leaves or pea shoots
- In a food processor, combine 1/4 cup of the peas, ricotta and the lemon juice until blended but still a bit chunky. Season with the salt and pepper, to taste. Spread on to the toasted bread, and top with the remaining peas, the asparagus, onion and herbs. Serve immediately.
While I prefer to use tender, raw vegetables in this recipe, if you would prefer to cook the pea and asparagus topping (do not cook the peas in the ricotta spread), simply heat a splash of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the asparagus and the peas for 30-60 seconds until just tender.