Simple and flavorful herbed buttermilk smashed potatoes. Baby red or yellow potatoes are mashed – skin-on – with buttermilk, sour cream, butter, and lots of herbs until creamy, with lots of great texture throughout. A favorite Thanksgiving and holiday side dish, but also delicious any time of year. Gluten-free.
- 1–1/2 lbs red or yellow potatoes, skins on, washed and scrubbed ¹
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for serving
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room-temperature
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, removed from stems and minced ²
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, removed from stems and minced ²
- 1–2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large pot. Cover with cold, generously salted water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork. Drain, return to the pot, or place in a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a small saucepan over low heat until melted. Stir in the buttermilk until just warmed through (it shouldn’t be hot enough to scald the milk – it will curdle). Promptly remove from the heat and stir in the herbs. ³
- With a potato masher or large fork, smash the potatoes until they are mostly broken down, then drizzle on the buttermilk mixture and mash until combined. Stir in the sour cream.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm with extra butter and a sprinkle of fresh herbs. Enjoy!!
¹ Yukon gold potatoes are my first preference if you can find them. If your potatoes are larger than a golf ball, cut them into equal sized halves or quarters, depending on size, for even cooking.
² Feel free to mix and match a combination of your favorite herbs. I love to use thyme, rosemary, flat-leaf parsley, chives, and tarragon.
³ Heating the butter mixture first is not strictly required but it will combine more easily, resulting in creamier, warmer mashed potatoes.
Keywords: herbed buttermilk smashed potatoes, yukon gold, skin on mashed potatoes, sour cream, fresh herbs, easy