A delicious recipe for lighter, Italian-Style Turkey Meatballs, loaded with cheese and fresh herbs.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 5 links Italian-style turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 24 oz jars marinara or arrabbiata sauce
- 16 oz spaghetti pasta
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large sheet pan with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use your hands to gently combine the turkey and the sausage. Set aside. In another mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except for the egg, until well mixed. Add the breadcrumb mixture to the meat mixture, along with the egg, and using your hands, gently combine until fully incorporated but not over mixed.
- Roll the meat into 1-1/2 inch balls and place about two inches apart on the sheet pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the sauce in a large skillet over medium heat. Gently stir the cooked meatballs into the sauce and let simmer, uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain the pasta and top with the meatballs and sauce. Serve hot with a dusting of Parmesan.