A vibrant pear and radicchio salad. Sweet pears combine with bitter radicchio, tangy goat cheese, sweet-tart pomegranate arils, toasted pecans, and a quick and simple vinaigrette. A simple, healthy, seasonal Fall salad and a perfect festive side dish for Thanksgiving and holiday dinners. Gluten free and vegan friendly.
For the radicchio salad
- 1 medium head radicchio
- 2 medium pears, sliced ¹
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup pecans ²
For the champagne vinaigrette
- Start by removing any wilted outer leaves from the radicchio before roughly chopping or tearing the remaining leaves into bite sized pieces. Add the radicchio to a large bowl.
- Layer the radicchio with the pear slices, goat cheese, pomegranate, and pecans. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl or lidded jar, combine the vinaigrette ingredients. Whisk or shake well until fully combined and emulsified.
- Lightly toss the salad with the vinaigrette (you may have extra). Season to taste with salt and pepper. ⁴ Enjoy!!
¹ Look for Anjou or Bartlett pears, which are great for salads and eating fresh. I typically slice the pears into thick wedges, but you can also cut the pear into square bite size chunks. A round 1/2 tsp measuring spoon works great for coring the pears.
² Toast the pecans before adding to the salad for extra nutty flavor. Bake on a sheet pan for 5-10 mins at 350℉. Or place in a dry skillet over medium heat and toast for 2-5 minutes. Candied pecans would also be tasty.
³ You can also use a good quality white or traditional balsamic vinegar.
⁴ Salt helps temper bitterness and brings out more flavor – don’t be afraid to season the salad and the dressing (to taste) before serving.
Keywords: pear and radicchio salad, goat cheese, pomegranate, pecan, healthy, homemade vinaigrette, bitter