The best peppermint chocolate crinkle cookies, a minty twist on the Christmas cookie platter classic! Packed with dark chocolate, cocoa, brown sugar, vanilla, and peppermint, and rolled in both cane sugar and powdered sugar for extra crinkly tops, these decadent, flavorful chocolate cookies are sure to become a holiday favorite!
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate (100% cacao), chopped
- 4 Tbsp (55g) unsalted butter
- 1–1/4 cup (150g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (40g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 (150g) large eggs
- 1–1/2 cups (298g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp (5g) pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp pure peppermint extract ¹
- 1/2 cup (99g) granulated sugar, for rolling
- 1/2 cup (60g) confectioners (powdered) sugar, for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 325℉. Line two large rimmed sheet pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in either a double-boiler over gently simmering water, or in a heat-proof glass bowl in the microwave. If using a microwave, heat in bursts of 30 seconds on medium power, stirring well and scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula after each increment, until completely smooth and glossy. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs until well-combined. Add the brown sugar, vanilla, and peppermint extract, and continue whisking until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the melted chocolate, and mix until smooth. Fold in the flour mixture until just combined and no dry streaks remain. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, place the granulated and powdered sugars in two separate shallow bowls. Use a 2-Tbsp cookie scoop (I used a #26) to scoop the dough into equal portions then gently roll into balls. Place each ball in the granulated sugar and gently roll until completely coated. Repeat with the powdered sugar. Place on the prepared sheet pans, about 2-inches apart.
- Bake each sheet individually for 11-13 minutes, until the cookies are gently puffed and the tops are crackled. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on the baking sheets. Enjoy!
¹ Start with 1/8 tsp of peppermint extract. If you like your cookies very minty, use up to 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp total. Any more and your cookies may become a little tooth-pasty!
Leftover cookies can be stored for 2-3 days. Place in single layers between parchment or wax paper in a tightly-covered container and keep refrigerated or at room-temperature.
Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated.
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: peppermint chocolate crinkle cookies, best peppermint cookie, mint, dark chocolate, no chill, with butter, powdered sugar