Easy homemade strawberry jam crumble bars. They’re filled with everything to love about a classic strawberry fruit crisp – flavorful strawberries nestled between a buttery brown sugar and oat crust and crumb topping – but in convenient hand held form! Made with simple pantry ingredients, easily adaptable (egg free, vegan, gluten free options), and perfect for sharing.
- 2 cups (180g) rolled oats
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup (226g or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 10 oz strawberry preserves ¹
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- zest of half a lemon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line a 9×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving about an inch overhang on two sides. Set aside.
- Make the crumble: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, flour, sugars, baking soda and spices until well-combined.
- Cut the butter into cubes, then use your fingers to gently knead the butter into the dry ingredients, until completely incorporated, and you’ve formed a shaggy, crumbly dough, that easily sticks together when pinched. This will take a few minutes.
- Assemble: Scoop about two thirds of the crumble dough into the baking pan, and press into an even layer along the bottom. Spoon the jam over the bottom crust, leaving about 1/4 border around the sides. Top with the chopped strawberries and lemon zest (if using).
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over top, from edge to edge. Very gently press the crumbles into the jam.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the crumble topping is golden brown and has puffed up a bit. The jam may be starting to bubble up through the crumbs, slightly. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before cutting into bars.
Make it gluten free by substituting all-purpose gluten free flour.
Make it vegan by using vegan butter (such as Earth Balance buttery baking sticks), or in a pinch, melted coconut oil.
Keywords: strawberry jam crumble bars, berries, egg free, easy, oat crumble, oatmeal bars, crumb bars, fruit bars, strawberry preserves