A sweet and healthy recipe for quinoa porridge topped with maple roasted pears – a deliciously cozy breakfast that’s a seasonal, protein-packed twist on classic oatmeal. Vegan and gluten-free.
Sweet Quinoa Breakfast Porridge
- 2 tsp unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup white quinoa, rinsed
- 1–1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk ¹
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- fat pinch of fine grain sea salt
- for serving: warm almond milk, maple syrup, chopped nuts, fresh berries, pomegranate arils, etc.
Maple Roasted Pears
Roast the pears:
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Line a 9×13-inch rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk together the melted coconut oil and maple syrup until combined. Stir in the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Toss with the quartered pears, coating well. Arrange the pears on your prepared sheet pan and roast for 20-25 minutes, basting with the pan juices once or twice, until the pears are golden and tender.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes on the pan before serving.
Prepare the quinoa porridge:
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add the rinsed quinoa, and stir to coat in the oil. Toast for about a minute
- Add the almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt, to taste, to the pan, stirring to combine.
- Bring up to a boil, then turn the heat down to low, and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the quinoa is cooked through and all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove the pot from the heat, place a double layer of paper towel under the lid, and let stand, covered for another 5-10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving warm.
Prepare the quinoa breakfast bowls
- Divide the warm quinoa between bowls, topping with warm almond milk, 2-3 roasted pear quarters, a drizzle of maple syrup, and any other desired toppings. Enjoy!!
¹ Feel free to swap in your favorite regular or non-dairy milk for the almond milk. Coconut milk and cashew milk are favorites for super creamy porridge.
Storage: Keep leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Keywords: quinoa porridge, quinoa oatmeal, maple roasted pears, vegan, gluten free, high protein, breakfast quinoa,