This cozy white bean and butternut squash soup is full of garlic, herbs, flavorful stock, and good-for-you Fall veggies. Gluten free and vegan-friendly.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and large-diced
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter¹
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small lemon, juiced²
- 4 cups (32 oz) rich chicken or vegetable stock
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can cooked cannelini beans, drained (not rinsed)
- 1–1/2 cups (loosely-packed) kale³, rough stems removed and torn into small pieces
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the butternut squash, and cook, turning occasionally, until just beginning to caramelize and soften, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer the butternut squash to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, and just beginning to brown. Add the garlic, and cook for another minute or two. Add the butter, and as it melts, stir in the herbs. Let cook for another minute or two until the onions are lightly golden.
- Add the butternut squash back to the pot, along with the lemon juice and stock, and stir to combine. Cover, and bring the stock just to a boil, then turn the heat down to low, and let simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the white beans and torn kale leaves, and continue to simmer until warmed through, about 3-5 minutes. If using a more delicate green, such as spinach, add right before serving. Serve warm with crusty bread. Enjoy!
¹ Make it vegan: omit the butter, or use vegan butter (such as Earth Balance spread)
² If you can find them, Meyer lemons are my favorite choice. They’re in season in Winter and add a welcome flavor and brightness to the soup.
³ Feel free to substitute spinach, Swiss chard, or your favorite tender green for the kale.
Keywords: white bean and butternut squash soup, white bean soup, butternut squash soup, tuscan, fall vegetable, easy, healthy, vegetarian, vegan