This cozy white bean and butternut squash soup is full of garlic, herbs, flavorful stock, and good-for-you Fall veggies. Gluten free and vegan-friendly.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and large-diced
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion, minced
- 1–2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter ¹
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small lemon, juiced ²
- 4 cups (32 oz) rich chicken or vegetable stock
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can cooked cannelini beans, drained but not rinsed
- 1–1/2 cups baby kale leaves ³
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the butternut squash, and cook, turning occasionally, until just beginning to caramelize and soften, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer the butternut squash to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, and just beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic, and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the butter, and as it melts, stir in the herbs. Let cook for another minute or two until the onions are lightly golden.
- Add the butternut squash back to the pot, along with the lemon juice and stock, and stir to combine.
- Cover, and bring the stock just to a boil, then turn the heat down to low, and let simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the white beans and kale leaves, and continue to simmer until warmed through, about 3-5 minutes. If using a more delicate green, such as spinach, add right before serving. Serve warm with crusty bread. Enjoy!!
¹ Make it vegan: use all olive oil, omit the butter completely, or use vegan butter (such as Earth Balance spread)
² One small lemon should yield 2-3 Tbsp of juice. Adjust according to your tastes. If you can find them, Meyer lemons are my favorite choice. They’re in season in Winter and add a welcome flavor and brightness to the soup.
³ Feel free to substitute spinach, Swiss chard, or your favorite tender green for the kale.
- Category: Soup, Savory
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: white bean and butternut squash soup, white bean soup, butternut squash soup, tuscan, fall vegetable, easy, healthy, vegetarian, vegan