An easy spinach and goat cheese pasta recipe, packed with healthy greens and tons of flavor from onion, garlic, and tangy goat cheese. A favorite quick pasta dish for busy weeknight dinners! Vegetarian and gluten free optional.
- 1/2 lb dry pasta
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1–2 cloves fresh garlic, finely sliced
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, minced
- 3 cups (packed) kale leaves, rough stems removed and chopped
- 3 cups (packed) spinach leaves
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 oz Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste*
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt generously and cook the pasta al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-heat, until the butter is melted and the oil just begins to shimmer. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- When the pasta has about two minutes to go, add the kale to the skillet, followed by the spinach, and stir constantly until the greens just begin to wilt. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. The greens will continue to cook from the heat of the pasta, so be careful not to overcook.
- Drain the pasta, reserving about 1/4 cup of the starchy pasta water. Return the pasta to the pot (off of the heat). Do not rinse the pasta.
- Add the greens mixture to the pasta, followed by the the goat cheese and parmesan, and stir to combine. Stir in the reserved pasta water as needed for a creamier sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm and enjoy!
You can use any combination of greens in this recipe: spinach, kale, Swiss chard, rapini etc.
Make it gluten free: Just switch out the pasta. My favorite is Jovial gluten free pasta.
- Category: dinner, pasta
- Method: saute
- Cuisine: american, italian
Keywords: spinach and goat cheese pasta, kale, easy, weeknight pasta, healthy, greens, penne, 30 minutes or less, gluten free