- 4–5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 2 tbsp good-quality aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups arugula
- 1–1/2 cups cooked farro
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese of your choice (I used gorgonzola)
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil over medium heat until just shimmering. Add the shallots and cook for a minute or two until the shallots just begin to soften. Add the balsamic vinegar, sugar and half of the blackberries, and cook for two to three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the blackberry mixture to a food processor, and blend until smooth. With the motor running, add the remaining olive oil, a tablespoon at a time until the vinaigrette reaches the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and let cool to room temperature.
- Toss the farro with the arugula, parsley, blue cheese and remaining blackberries. Drizzle the salads with the blackberry vinaigrette, coating lightly, to taste. Serve immediately.