A quick weeknight recipe for Orecchiette with Wilted Spinach, Kale and Toasted Pine Nuts, ready in 15 minutes.
- 1/2 lb orecchiette pasta
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh kale, ripped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions (usually about 8-10 minutes).
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-heat. Add the pine nuts and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the olive oil, butter, garlic and onion to the skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Drain the pasta, reserving about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta and reserved liquid to the skillet along with the spinach and kale leaves. Stir to combine until the spinach and kale have softened and begin to wilt.
- Toss the pasta with the pine nuts and Parmesan and season generously with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan.