Orecchiette with Wilted Spinach, Kale and Toasted Pine Nuts
The pup and I were tucked inside for most of today, escaping the rain. The Honey is away for work again this week, which makes it three out of the last four weeks that he’s been gone. So as not to spend too much time missing him (especially in this snuggle-inspiring weather), I’ve been Spring cleaning, baking up a storm, and planning all sorts of lovely new features for the site.
When it’s just me, I tend to fall back on classic pasta dishes that cook quickly and make for easy leftovers. Craving something warm and comforting today, I whipped up this simple pasta dish for lunch; little orecchiette pasta tossed with fresh spinach and kale leaves in a quick olive oil and garlic sauce. Adorned with a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts and a generous amount of Parmesan, this dish makes for a healthy and flavorful Spring meal.
A quick weeknight recipe for Orecchiette with Wilted Spinach, Kale and Toasted Pine Nuts, ready in 15 minutes.
- 1/2 lb orecchiette pasta
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh kale, ripped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions (usually about 8-10 minutes).
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-heat. Add the pine nuts and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the olive oil, butter, garlic and onion to the skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Drain the pasta, reserving about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta and reserved liquid to the skillet along with the spinach and kale leaves. Stir to combine until the spinach and kale have softened and begin to wilt.
- Toss the pasta with the pine nuts and Parmesan and season generously with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan.