Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 2–1/2 + 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 Tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp fine-grain sea salt
- 1 package (2-1/4 tsp) instant (rapid rise) yeast
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
Raspberry Cinnamon Filling
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room-temperature (soft and easily spreadable)
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam or preserves
- 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
Vanilla Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar, sifted
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- splash of milk or cream, as desired
Raspberry Jam Cinnamon Rolls
- Stir together 2-1/2 cups of flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast in a large mixing bowl until well-combined. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe-bowl, heat the milk, and butter at 50% power until it reaches 115-120 degrees. The mixture should be hot to the touch but not
boiling. Stir in the nutmeg.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients, and stir with a nonstick spatula, to combine.
- Add the egg and 1/4 cup flour, and stir until
a soft dough forms. Add a 1-2 more tablespoons of flour as needed. The dough is ready to knead when it becomes elastic and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean, lightly-floured work surface and gently but firmly knead for 3-4 minutes.
- Place the ball of dough in a lightly-greased bowl and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Return the dough to your work surface. Be sure to scrape away any stuck-on dough (a bench scraper is great for this) and lightly flour again first.
- Shape the dough into a flat rectangular disk, then use a lightly-floured rolling pin to roll out the dough into an 8×14-inch rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick. Dust the top and underside of the dough with flour as you work if the dough becomes sticky. Using a ruler to measure helps to ensure evenly-sized cinnamon rolls, but don’t fret if they aren’t exact.
- Spread on the butter, followed by the raspberry jam, in even layers, leaving a half-inch border on the long sides.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon until combined. Sprinkle
onthe cinnamon-sugar mixture, then, starting from one of the long sides, slowly and tightly roll up the dough.
- Place the log of dough seam-side down, and use a very sharp serrated knife or (preferably) unflavored dental floss to cut the rolls into 9 to 12 pieces.
- Place the rolls in a lightly greased or cooking-sprayed 9-inch pan, leaving even space between each. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft-free place to rise (I use the microwave). Let rise for 50-75 minutes, until roughly doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake until barely-browned, gently puffed, and cooked
through,about 20-25 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning, as necessary.
Vanilla Lemon Glaze
- Combine the sugar and lemon juice in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir in the vanilla. Add a splash of milk or cream as needed to reach your desired consistency. Drizzle over the cinnamon rolls while still warm. Enjoy!