- In advance, make the tart dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the dough into a circle about 1/8″ thick. Using a saucer as a guide, cut out four 6″ circles of dough. Place each one over a 5″ round tart form, and gently use your fingers or a dry pastry brush to smooth the dough into the pan. Using a knife, trim the dough so that it is flush with the edge of the tart form. Place the tart shells on a sheet pan and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Place the apple slices in a large mixing bowl and add the lemon juice and vanilla. Sift the dry ingredients together, and sprinkle over the apple slices. Lightly hand- toss to combine. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the tart shells from the refrigerator. Working carefully, layer the apple slices in an overlapping, spiral pattern in the bottom of each tart shell, using 1/4 of the apples for each tart. Pour any remaining liquid – divided evenly – over the layered apple slices,
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the apple juices begin to bubble. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.