An easy spring vegetable pasta with goat cheese, packed with healthy greens and tons of flavor from fresh peas, asparagus, garlic, lemon, herbs, and tangy goat cheese. A favorite quick pasta dish for busy weeknight dinners! Vegetarian and gluten free friendly.
- 1/2 lb penne pasta ¹
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh English or snap peas, shelled
- 1–2 cups (packed) baby arugula
- small handful of pea shoots (optional)
- half of one small lemon, juiced and zested ²
- 3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 Tbsp flat leaf Italian parsley, minced
- 1 Tbsp chives, minced
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta al dente, according to package directions, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the butter, and when it melts, add the garlic, and cook until golden and fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes, until just beginning to soften.
- Add the peas, arugula, and pea shoots, if using. Sauté for another 1-2 minutes, until the vegetables are tender but still vibrantly green. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked pasta to the vegetables, and stir to combine. Top with the goat cheese, parmesan, and herbs, and divide between bowls. Serve with more parmesan, to taste. Enjoy!!
¹ Make it gluten-free: Switch out the pasta for a gluten-free version. My favorite is Jovial brown rice pasta, which tastes as much like the “real” thing as any I’ve tried.
² Start with about 1 Tbsp of lemon juice and 1/2 tsp zest and adjust according to your tastes. If you can find them, Meyer lemons are my favorite choice. They’re in season in Winter and add a welcome sweetness and flavor to the pasta.
For a creamier pasta sauce, you can reserve about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the starchy pasta water and add it along with the goat cheese and parmesan.
- Category: Dinner, Savory
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spring vegetable pasta with goat cheese, vegetable pasta, asparagus, peas, lemon, easy