Things have been a little hectic around here lately. For the second year in a row, I decided to do our taxes myself. This seemed like a great (and frugal) idea in January or February, but um, here in the first week of April? I’m now seriously doubting what feels like a particularly masochistic decision, especially because the sun is finally out! Oh, glory be, our six months of grey, grey, grey, rain, rain, rain are just about over, I can feel it.
More than anything, I want to play hooky and be outside in the sunshine, rather than wading through financial records and receipts. Ahhh the joys of small business…
On top of that, my parents are coming to visit us this weekend (yay!), and in typical fashion, I’m suddenly remembering and discovering all kinds of little house “projects” that need doing, in time for their arrival. Nothing like house guests to really motivate some Spring cleaning!
When things get really busy, pasta is always one of our go-to dinners, and these past few weeks have been no exception. It’s an obvious choice for those nights when we want really good food that doesn’t take a lot of time (or energy) to prepare.
It’s really too easy to open up some store-bought pasta or ravioli (Trader Joe’s portobello mushroom and cheese here), top it with a simple garlic butter sauce, quick sautéed Spring veggies, and crumbles of tangy goat cheese, and call it dinner – all in about twenty minutes.
I opted for tender asparagus, fresh snap peas, plus a few pea shoots thrown in for good measure, this time, but fava beans, scallions, broccoli – any quick-cooking green veggie – would also be lovely. With a fresh, green side salad served alongside – and maybe a glass of wine? – this pasta makes for a pretty perfect meal in my book.
Disclaimer: I’ve shown major restraint in these photos; in real life, those luscious little clouds of goat cheese would have doubled… okay, quadrupled. 🙂
(See you back next week when the dust settles, with a new recipe and Sunday Swoon!)Print
- 1 package (8 oz) ravioli
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup asparagus, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh English or snap peas, shelled
- 3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- optional: small handful of pea shoots
- 1 Tbsp flat-leaf Italian parsley, minced
- 1 Tbsp chives, minced
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the ravioli al dente, according to package directions. Drain and divide among plates.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Melt the butter, then add the garlic, and cook until golden and fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, and cook, stirring often, for a minute or two, until just beginning to soften. Add the peas, and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes, until the vegetables are tender but still vibrantly green. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top the ravioli with the asparagus, peas, butter sauce, crumbled goat cheese, pea shoots and herbs. Season to taste, as desired. Serve immediately.