If Fig Newton’s are your jam, you’ll go crazy for these easy homemade walnut and fig crumble bars. They’re chewy bars filled with gooey fig butter nestled between a buttery brown sugar and oat crust and walnut crumble topping – and packed with yummy fall flavor!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 10 oz fig butter/preserves ¹
- 3–4 dried figs, chopped (optional) ²
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line a 9×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving about an inch overhang on two sides to form a sling. Set aside.
- Make the crumble: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, flour, sugars, baking soda, pie spice, and salt until well-combined.
- Cut the butter into cubes, then use your fingers to gently knead the butter into the dry ingredients, until completely incorporated, and you’ve formed a shaggy, crumbly dough, that easily sticks together when pinched. This will take a few minutes.
- Assemble: Scoop about two thirds of the crumble dough into the baking pan, and press into an even layer along the bottom. Spoon the fig butter over the bottom crust, leaving about a 1/4-inch border around the sides. Top with the chopped dried figs.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over top, along with the walnuts, from edge to edge. Very gently press the crumbles and nuts into the jam.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the crumble topping is a lightly golden and has puffed up just a bit. The jam may be starting to slightly bubble up through the crumbs, but don’t worry if it’s not.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Enjoy!!
¹ Fig butter/preserves can be found seasonally at well-stocked grocery stores (I found mine at Trader Joe’s), or you can make your own!
² Look for dried figs that have been slightly rehydrated and are still moist for the tastiest bars.
Keywords: fig bars, crumble bars, walnut and fig, nuts, walnuts, dried figs, fig butter, fig jam, brown sugar, homemade fig newtons, oat crumble, dessert, baking, easy, gluten free