- 2 cups (cooked) long grain or wild rice
- 6 bell peppers
- olive oil, for the baking dish
- 1 lb (5-6 links) sweet or hot Italian-style chicken sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4–1/2 cup basil pesto (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, plus more for serving
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the rice, according to package directions. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the tops off of the peppers, and remove the seeds and white pith. Rinsing under water can help to remove stubborn seeds. Drizzle the bottom of a large oven safe casserole dish with olive oil, just enough to coat. Arrange the peppers in the dish. Set aside.
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and cooked through. As the sausage cooks, use a spatula to break it into small pieces. Drain excess grease, as needed; the sausage will brown faster in less liquid. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the rice and the pesto, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fill the peppers with the sausage/rice mixture, and top with a sprinkling of Parmesan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden, and the peppers are cooked through (Think fork tender, not mushy). Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 Stuffed Pepper
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 3.75g
- Protein: 15g