Wild Rice and Sausage Stuffed Peppers with Pesto
Easy wild rice and sausage stuffed peppers, with basil pesto and parmesan, are healthy, full of flavor, and make a wonderful weeknight dinner. Gluten free.
Sausage Stuffed Peppers
After reading this article (ignoring the accompanying snarky comments), I was reminded that sometimes it’s important to just cook. From scratch. Or mostly. Even on those nights when we’re tired and overwhelmed and don’t particularly feel like cooking dinner at all. That trying new recipes and cooking wholesome, homecooked meals is something to be proud of.
And while whipping up a spatchcocked chicken in gravy isn’t a realistic weeknight dinner option for most people, myself included, I appreciate the sentiment of just saying yes to cooking simple, satisfying, healthy meals, at home.
These rice and sausage stuffed peppers, are totally do-able on a weeknight. I bet you already have most of the ingredients on hand, you can assemble them in advance, and the filling is super flexible – i.e. great for using up leftovers.
If peppers aren’t your thing, the rice and sausage filling would also be delicious stuffed inside tomatoes, zucchini, or mushrooms; simply adjust the cooking time as needed. The peppers fit right into the seasonal transition we’re in right now; the dish utilizes vibrant, end-of-Summer produce, but still feels comforting and hearty enough for these cooler first days of Fall. Happy cooking!!
More flavorful grain recipes to make next:
- Lemony orzo pasta salad with cucumber and feta
- Summer squash grain salad with feta and corn
- Veggie burrito bowls with cilantro-lime vinaigrette
- Mediterranean quinoa salad
If you make these rice and sausage stuffed peppers, be sure to tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #forkknifeswoon and leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked them! ★★★★★ Star ratings are especially helpful because they help others find my recipes too. xo, LauraPrint
- 2 cups (cooked) long grain or wild rice
- 6 bell peppers
- olive oil, for the baking dish
- 1 lb (5-6 links) sweet or hot Italian-style chicken sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4–1/2 cup basil pesto (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, plus more for serving
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the rice, according to package directions. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 ℉.
- Cut the tops off of the peppers, and remove the seeds and white pith. Rinsing under water can help to remove stubborn seeds. Drizzle the bottom of a large oven safe casserole dish with olive oil, just enough to coat. Arrange the peppers in the dish. Set aside.
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and cooked through. As the sausage cooks, use a spatula to break it into small pieces. Drain excess grease, as needed; the sausage will brown faster in less liquid. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the rice and the pesto, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fill the peppers with the sausage/rice mixture, and top with a sprinkling of Parmesan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden, and the peppers are cooked through (Think fork tender, not mushy). Serve warm. Enjoy!!
- Serving Size: 1 Stuffed Pepper
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 3.75g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: sausage stuffed peppers, rice, italian sausage, pesto, cheesy