Holiday cookie season is in full swing around here! Along with my standard repertoire of cookie and holiday baking recipes, I’ve partnered with OREO to create a new take on their popular and classic recipe for OREO Cookie Balls. I’ve added dark chocolate, peppermint and a hint of espresso to the original recipe for a one-bite-of-bliss cookie/truffle with a rich and decadent flavor akin to a Peppermint Mocha.
If you’re looking for a festive and highly-customizable holiday dessert, the original OREO Cookie Ball is a great base recipe with which to get creative. The simplicity of the original (OREO cookies, cream cheese and chocolate) easily lends itself to experimentation. My version here is for the confirmed chocolate lover – I’ve packed three kinds of chocolate into each little indulgent bite – and dressed it all up for the holidays with the addition of peppermint.
While working on the recipe, I kept dreaming of other flavor possibilities as well, such as white chocolate and cinnamon, or peanut butter and semi-sweet chocolate… Whichever combination you choose, these are fun and easy cookies to make, which means less stress and more time to spend with family and friends this holiday season.
A few notes on the recipe:
- Word to the wise: Do not make these while the Honey is home and/or hungry if you wish to yield the full quantity of Cookie Balls. I made the OREO cookie filling and rolled out the balls the night before I planned to coat and decorate them, and ended up dipping only about half, as the rest mysteriously disappeared from the fridge.
- A 1-inch cookie scoop works really well for portioning out the OREO filling. While forming the cookie balls, work in batches to keep the filling cold (leaving the rest in the fridge). It also helps to wash/wipe your hands off every couple of rolls or so to help combat what can quickly become an epically sticky situation.
- You can use any type of melted chocolate for the coating, but I would strongly recommend a dark chocolate. Look for a high-percentage of cocoa in the chocolate you choose to create a nice balance to the sweet and rich OREO cookie filling.
- You can find the original OREO Cookie Ball recipe as well as other twists on the classic recipe, here.
- 36 (about 3 cups) OREO cookies, crushed
- 1/3 cup peppermint candies or candy canes, crushed
- 1 pkg. (8oz) brick cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp instant espresso
- 1 tsp warm water
- 16oz dark baking chocolate, melted
- Optional: about 2 tbsp crushed peppermints and/or semi-sweet cocoa powder, for decorating
- In a food processor, pulse together the OREO cookies and the peppermint candies until fully crushed and well-combined. Dissolve the instant espresso in the water, and add to the OREO cookie crumbs. Add the softened cream cheese, and pulse until blended.
- Shape the OREO filling into 48 (1-inch) balls, and place on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Freeze for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate according to package directions. When the Oreo balls are nicely chilled-through, use a toothpick to dip each ball in the melted chocolate, gently turning to allow the excess chocolate to drip off. Sprinkle the tops with crushed peppermints or use a sifter to lightly dust the cookie balls with cocoa, and let cool on another parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Share and enjoy!
This post was sponsored by OREO. All written product and recipe opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that help keep the lights on and the stove running in the Swoon kitchen.