Desserts + Sweets, Food + Drink, Made From Scratch, Vegetarian Recipes

Homemade Whipped Cream

October 2, 2012 by Laura

The Swoon kitchen is filled with the aromas of fall: Pumpkin and apples. Cinnamon. Nutmeg and cloves.  I’m working on developing some seasonal recipes, and made a batch of fresh vanilla whipped cream today to accompany the new desserts. Just three ingredients and five minutes to fresh, ethereal, sweet whipped cream. Truly perfection in simplicity.

Homemade Whipped Cream

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe by:
Yield: 2 Cups
Ingredients
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. Place the powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the cream and vanilla.
  2. Using a metal whisk or an electric hand mixer, whisk the cream just until stiff peaks begin to form. Voila!
Note from Laura
For easier, higher peaks, start with very cold cream, and place the mixing bowl in the freezer for 10-15 minutes prior to whipping.

7 Comments

• Reply No-Bake Cheesecake with Nectarines and Blueberries - Fork Knife Swoon September 18, 2013 at 9:47 am

[…] For tips on whipped cream, see our tutorial here. […]

• Reply Brandon October 24, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I have an old latte foamer I use if there’s ever leftover cream from a food recipe, which is nice when you only want to make one serving of whipped cream for your morning coffee.

• Reply Laura October 25, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I love my latte foamer…I use it all the time for milk with my coffee and tea, but I’ve never used one for whipping cream… love the idea though. Much easier than hauling out the mixer for one serving. I’m going to try it!

• Reply Terri Lynn Povitch October 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Thank you! I do not usually add vanilla when I make whipped cream. But I will try this!

• Reply Laura October 19, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Thank you Terri!!

• Reply Dominique October 16, 2012 at 10:11 am

This makes me laugh out loud, and really hard to! Are you telling me, that you need to tell people how to whip cream? And no, I’m not being unkind, but here in the Netherlands and I think most of Europe, it’s hard to find cream that has been whipped. Because whipping cream is really SO easy, nobody wants to pay extra for pre-whipped cream. When I was a student, I whipped cream with two forks, instead of a electric device, and that went ok too.
    It comes across like something surreal, if you know what I mean? I think this is a great way to see the difference between our two countrys. And here I was, thinking people in the Netherlands are buying to much prepared foods…. Thank you, you have made me laugh on a cold autumn day ;)

• Reply Carolina Yng November 3, 2012 at 11:19 am

Haha, I agree. I’m Swedish and I always laugh when Americans post recipes for “fresh whipped cream” because I honestly thought everyone knew how to whip cream…