This time of year, pretty little packages and tins of peppermint bark can be found in just about every specialty home store and grocery. Comprised of two luscious layers of semi-sweet and white chocolate, infused with peppermint, and topped with minty pieces of candy cane, peppermint bark is a classic holiday treat.
It’s also incredibly simple to make at home, and so much more affordable. The colorful little squares are delicious alongside a steamy mug of hot cocoa, and make lovely hostess gifts for your next holiday get-together.
- 12 oz good-quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 oz good-quality white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp pure mint extract
- 3 candy canes, crushed
- Line a sheet pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper. Meanwhile, melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips according to package directions. When the chocolate is fully melted, stir in the peppermint extract, then use a spatula to carefully spread the chocolate over the parchment paper in an even layer. Set the sheet pan aside to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Repeat the melting process with the white chocolate, and pour over the semi-sweet chocolate layer. Sprinkle with the crushed candy cane pieces, gently pressing the candy into the white chocolate. Set the sheet pan aside to set, about an hour.
- Gently peel the bark away from the parchment paper and cut it into slices or break into random pieces. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.