Easy Butternut Squash Soup
An easy, comforting recipe for creamy butternut squash soup. Quick, super flavorful, and perfect for cozy dinners.
This recipe is a long time favorite. Simple ingredients and perfect for the cold, windy, autumnal days we’ve been having in the city lately.Print
- 5 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 medium sweet onions, diced
- 16 oz chicken stock
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, removed from stems and minced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, removed from stems and minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp créme fraîche or heavy cream
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- optional: Minced chives and dollops of créme fraîche to garnish
- Saute onion with butter, olive oil, rosemary and thyme in a medium-sized pot over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, garlic, and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper. Cook until the onions become golden and the butternut squash begins to soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add chicken stock to pot, stir to combine, and cook uncovered for 25-30 minutes at a gentle boil until the butternut squash is fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender to blend soup to a smooth consistency. If using a standing blender or food processor, allow the mixture to cool slightly before blending. Blend in batches, as necessary.
- Return soup to pot and stir in créme fraîche or cream. Serve hot, with créme fraîche and minced chives to garnish.
Keywords: easy butternut squash soup, creamy, butternut squash, creme fraiche