Cherry and Ricotta Crostini
Ricotta is one of those wonderfully flexible cheeses that can seamlessly transition from savory to sweet with the right pairing of ingredients. In this simple crostini recipe, honey-sweetened, creamy ricotta is topped with spoonfuls of sweet and tart, balsamic-macerated cherries, for an elegant and delicious Summer starter.
- 1–1/2 cups cherries, halved and pitted
- 1 tbsp good-quality aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp superfine sugar
- 1 cup skim ricotta cheese
- 2–3 tsp honey
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 8–10 slices (about 1/4-inch thick) of French baguette or ciabatta bread, toasted or grilled
- Combine the cherries, balsamic vinegar, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice and toast or grill the bread. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the ricotta and honey until well-mixed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spread the ricotta onto the bread and top with the cherries. Serve immediately.