Ricotta is one of those wonderfully flexible cheeses that can seamlessly transition from savory to sweet with the right pairing of ingredients. In this simple crostini recipe, honey-sweetened, creamy ricotta is topped with spoonfuls of sweet and tart, balsamic-macerated cherries, for an elegant and delicious Summer starter.
- 1–1/2 cups cherries, halved and pitted
- 1 tbsp good-quality aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp superfine sugar
- 1 cup skim ricotta cheese
- 2–3 tsp honey
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 8–10 slices (about 1/4-inch thick) of French baguette or ciabatta bread, toasted or grilled
- Combine the cherries, balsamic vinegar, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice and toast or grill the bread. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the ricotta and honey until well-mixed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spread the ricotta onto the bread and top with the cherries. Serve immediately.