I’ve espoused my love of sweet potatoes before; They are truly one of my favorite fall vegetables – naturally both sweet and savory. These loaded baked sweet potatoes are a delicious, seasonal alternative to the classic baked russet potato, and could also be served in lieu of candied yams. I added rich blue cheese, chopped pecans, fresh thyme and a drizzle of maple syrup in this version, but you can top the baked sweet potatoes with just about any combination of sweet and salty you like. These vibrant orange spuds pair wonderfully with roast chicken or pork, and are equally satisfying alongside a green salad for a light vegetarian lunch.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup good blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a fork, prick the sweet potatoes all over. Place on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 45-55 minutes, depending on size. Remove and let cool.
- Using a knife, split the sweet potatoes open and sprinkle each with a pinch of salt. Top with the butter, blue cheese, pecans, maple syrup and thyme, divided equally. Serve immediately.