Do you have plans for Cinco de Mayo? With the Honey still out of town, it’s looking like a fiesta for one at the Swoon homestead this year. Perhaps I’ll dress the pup in a sombrero and make it a date!
As a native of Southern California, I grew up eating a lot of authentic Mexican food. Those dishes remain a big inspiration in the Swoon Kitchen, and I almost never need an excuse to whip up a spicy south-of-the-border-inspired recipe. I kicked off the Cinco de Mayo festivities early with these little veggie tostadas. Smokey, chile-spiced sweet potatoes combine with black beans and fresh chilies atop a crispy corn tortilla for a delicious vegetarian dish that’s perfect for one – or a party.
Check back this week for more Cinco de Mayo recipes and inspiration!
Chile-spiced Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans combine in these delicious, vegetarian Tostadas.
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- vegetable oil, for frying the tortillas
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil
- 1–1/2 tsp Mexican-style ground chili powder
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1–1/2 cups canned black beans
- 3/4 cup cotijo or queso fresco cheese
- optional garnishes: fresh chile slices, red onion slices, avocado chunks, sprigs of fresh cilantro, lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl, toss the sweet potato pieces with the olive oil then spread out onto a sheet pan and sprinkle with the spices. Bake for 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and just fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, warm the beans in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until just shimmering. Carefully add the tortillas to the oil, one at a time, and cook for a minute or two until golden and crispy. Remove with tongs and set aside to cool on a platter lined with paper towels.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, layer the sweet potatoes and black beans on the tostada bottoms, dividing evenly, and top with the cheese and desired garnishes. Serve immediately.