Crispy Baked Parmesan Chicken
I’ve been working on developing the perfect baked Parmesan Chicken recipe for a while now; the key is creating a crispy, flavorful crust while maintaining succulent, juicy meat inside. Too often the results can be soggy, greasy or overdone. I’ve experimented with different cooking methods, seasonings and breadcrumbs, but still wasn’t quite satisfied.
So when Hellmann’s recently invited me to participate in their Making Over the Best celebration, and put my twist on a recipe Mario Batali has made over in honor of Hellmann’s 100 Year anniversary, it was kismet. The first recipe to catch my eye was Batali’s Favorite Parm Chicken, and I knew I had my solution to the Chicken Parmesan quandary.
While the traditional Italian Chicken Parmesan dish employs a flour dredge and egg dip to adhere a breadcrumb coating, Batali substitutes Hellmann’s mayonnaise dressing with olive oil, which adds flavor and keeps the chicken moist while baking. I added some fresh herbs and switched the Italian-style breadcrumbs for Panko, which makes for a crispier crust. I’m wary of calling any recipe “perfect”, but this updated Chicken Parmesan recipe is a standout, and sure to become a family favorite.
To watch Mario share his modern twist on more classic Hellmann’s recipes – or to submit your own – visit Facebook.com/Hellmanns. There’s even a chance to enter to win a seat at the Blue Ribbon table in NYC for Hellmann’s 100th Birthday celebration.
A crispy, baked Parmesan Chicken recipe inspired by Mario Batali’s Favorite Parm Chicken recipe created in celebration of Hellmann’s 100th Anniversary.
- 1/2 cup Hellmann’s Mayonnaise Dressing with Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves, finely minced (or sub. 1/2 tsp dried oregano)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves, finely minced (or sub. 1tsp dried basil)
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, about 1/8-inch thick
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the Hellmann’s with 1/4 cup of the Parmesan until well combined. In a separate bowl, mix together the Panko, the remaining Parmesan, and the oregano and basil. Set aside.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, and dip each piece in the Hellmann’s mixture, coating both sides well. Place the chicken on a baking sheet and sprinkle the tops with the panko mixture.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and beginning to brown, about 12-15 minutes. Place the mozzarella slices on top of each piece of chicken and continue baking for another 4-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Serve warm with marinara sauce and fresh basil.