The Honey is away and off the grid for the next six weeks for work, and the house already feels too big. We spent the last week before he left quietly savoring our time together, just the two of us and the pup. We snuck in some summer vegetable planting, a few simple celebrations for his birthday and our anniversary, and several of my Honey’s favorite home-cooked meals, before his departure date came rushing in yesterday in the early, early morning.
With our weather patterns ever-fluctuating, we took advantage of a brief warm-spell over the weekend to cook up some grilled shrimp and pineapple tacos before a thunderstorm swooped in. These tacos are sweet and spicy, and packed with bold flavor. We like to pair them with fresh slices of jalapeno, red cabbage, fresh cilantro and a sprinkling of cotija cheese. The shrimp and pineapple can easily be grilled indoors as well with a cast-iron grill pan, making these an easy, and delicious weeknight dinner.
A quick and easy recipe for tropically-inspired Grilled Shrimp and Pineapple Tacos.
- 8 (6-inch) tortillas
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 8 pineapple rings, about 1/4-inch thick
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup cotija or queso fresco cheese
- fresh cilantro, to taste
- In a bowl, mix together the butter, lime juice, garlic, and spices, until well-combined. Add the shrimp and stir to evenly coat. Let marinade for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill or grill-pan over medium-high heat. Add the pineapple slices to the grill and cook until golden, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and set aside. Add the shrimp to the grill pan and cook until opaque, about 2-3 minutes per side, depending on size.
- Cut the grilled pineapple rings into chunks. Divide the shrimp and pineapple evenly among the tortillas, top with the jalapeno, cabbage, cheese and cilantro. Serve immediately.