I’m working with Target and few of their partner brands: Barilla®, NatureRaised Farms, and Select by Calphalon™, to bring you this recipe today. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Fork Knife Swoon!
While it may not officially be Autumn for a few more weeks, there’s been a definite nip in the air these last few mornings, our Summer garden is winding down, and the maples are becoming noticeably more colorful, painted with pretty shades of ochre and vermilion.
It’s certainly feeling autumnal around here, and I’ve got a big bowl of cozy Fall flavors for you, to welcome in the season.
Maple-kissed, caramelized butternut squash, and succulent chicken combine with baby kale and fresh, aromatic sage, atop perfectly al dente angel hair pasta, for a healthy and satisfying weeknight dinner that’s an easy, family favorite. Sweater weather can’t come soon enough!
The hubby and I looove pasta – and while the sauces and ingredients change regularly, we make some sort of pasta dish at least once a week.
As the weather cools, sweet butternut squash and dark, leafy kale become easy choices, and chicken breasts make for an easy source of lean protein, no matter the season.
This maple butternut squash and chicken pasta starts with Barilla® pasta – in that classic blue box – that cooks to al dente perfection in only a few minutes. I opted for skinny angel hair (also known as ‘capellini’ in Italian), which is wonderfully delicate, and ideal for light, structured sauces like this one.
Next, all-natural, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which I chop into bite-sized pieces so they brown quickly, because on busy weeknights, I’m not usually interested in spending much more than thirty minutes cooking dinner.
While we do enjoy many plant-based meals, when I do eat meat, I’m discerning about where that meat comes from. So it’s important to me that all products from NatureRaised Farms meet strict standards, including a commitment to 100% all-natural ingredients, no antibiotics ever, a 100% vegetarian diet, no added hormones, and third-party animal welfare certification.
And, their products prove that eating healthy and sustainably can still be convenient. NatureRaised Farm’s chicken breasts come pre-portioned and fully-trimmed, which makes them super handy to keep in the freezer for easy weeknight, or last-minute dinners.
Once the chicken begins to brown, we add sweet butternut squash (fresh, precut, or frozen), a good drizzle of maple syrup, and herby, fresh sage. Already getting all those Fall feels…
All of this pasta magic is created in two Select by Calphalon™ pans (currently 20% off!), which are great for everyday cooking. They’ve got the same quality and construction Calphalon is known for, at a Target price point. I used two sturdy, anodized nonstick pans for this recipe: one pot for cooking the pasta, and a big skillet for cooking the chicken and butternut squash, before tossing everything together with the steamy pasta and baby kale leaves.
The result: healthy and delicious butternut squash and chicken pasta, a family-friendly dinner that I’m sure you’re going to love as much as we do!
A Few Pasta Tips
Always salt your pasta water, to impart flavor while the pasta cooks.
To prevent cooked and drained pasta from sticking while you prepare the other ingredients, toss the pasta with just enough olive oil to coat.
Add delicate ingredients – like baby kale or other greens – at the last minute. The heat from the pasta will gently wilt the kale, without overcooking.
Kitchen tongs work great to toss hot pasta together with the other ingredients.
Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper along the way.
This post is sponsored by Target and a few of their partner brands: Barilla®, NatureRaised Farms, and Select by Calphalon™. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Fork Knife Swoon!
- 1 (1 lb) package Barilla® angel hair pasta
- 2 Tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- 4 (4 oz) NatureRaised Farms® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Portions, thawed and large-diced
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, minced
- 1 small butternut squash (about 12oz), large-diced
- 3 cups (packed) baby kale
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large Select by Calphalon™ pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta al dente, according to package directions, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain well. Toss the pasta with just enough olive oil to coat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a large Select by Calphalon™ skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken to the skillet, and turn as needed to brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash to the skillet, drizzle with the maple syrup and sage, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, until the squash is tender and caramelized, and the chicken is golden brown. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta and kale to the skillet, and toss with the chicken and squash until combined. Continue heating until the kale is just wilted, and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees F. Divide between bowls and serve warm!
For more delicious, family-friendly recipes, check out Target’s new recipes here!