I am so happy to announce today that Fork Knife Swoon has partnered with several other passionate food bloggers to bring you The Sustainable Seafood Blog Project. Spearheaded by Jessie of Life As A Strawberry, the project aims to draw attention to the importance of choosing sustainable fish and seafood. Here in the Swoon Kitchen we care tremendously about where our food comes from, and were so excited to be invited to jump on board as a founding project partner.
It’s often easy to think of our vast oceans as teeming with an endless supply of fish, but many species are actually in great peril or on the brink of extinction. An increasing global demand for seafood, rising oceanic temperatures, habitat loss, poorly enforced regulations and overfishing have all contributed to a crisis for many fish populations.
Conservation and sustainability groups – like those we’ve partnered with as part of this project – are working to bring positive change to our oceans and the fish species that call them home, by starting a dialog on the issues and helping to reshape the way we think about the seafood we eat. The Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch Program for example, has an excellent guide to choosing healthy and sustainable alternatives to threatened species. Other groups like the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) work to encourage sustainable fishing practices through independent oversight and certification.
We’re celebrating the project’s launch with an easy and elegant pan-roasted Rainbow Trout dish topped with fresh cherry tomatoes and an herbed olive oil. Actually a fresh-water species, U.S. farm-raised Rainbow Trout are considered a “Best Choice” by the Seafood Watch Program because they are farmed in an ecologically-responsible way and provide an alternative to wild-caught trout species, many of which are threatened or endangered. Members of the salmon family, Rainbow Trout are widely available, with a mild, slightly-gamey flavor and tender, flakey flesh.
We hope you enjoy this fresh Summer recipe, and be sure to check out the other delicious – and sustainable – seafood recipes below from our Project Partners:
Pan-Roasted Trout with Tomatoes and Herbed Olive Oil
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- 1/3 cup good-quality olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, removed from woody stems and minced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, removed from woody stems and minced
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped, plus more for serving, as desired
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 skin-on trout filets, about 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Make the herbed olive oil. Add the olive oil and herbs to a small mixing bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add about a tablespoon of the olive oil to the skillet, just enough to coat the bottom, and heat until the oil begins to shimmer.
- Season the trout with salt and pepper and add skin-side up to the pan. Cook undisturbed until just golden, about 2-3 minutes. Flip the trout and transfer the skillet to the oven. Roast until the fish is opaque and cooked-through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm with the fresh tomatoes and a drizzle of the herbed olive oil.