Strawberry Almond Tart
Sweet and fragrant strawberries and crumbly almond shortbread are a perfect match in this strawberry almond tart – a wonderfully simple and delicious Spring dessert that everyone can enjoy. Gluten free friendly.
I’ve been baking with a lot of chocolate lately, so it’s probably time for me to return to my other true love: berries.
Prepare yourselves for a bevy of sweet berry treats as they make their way into season!
A springtime strawberry almond tart
This strawberry almond tart originally comes from King Arthur Flour. It’s a long time favorite, endlessly adaptable and always a crowd-pleaser. I first made it with sweet summer cherries a couple of summers ago, and it’s become a recipe I return to over and over again.
I mean, what’s not to love about a jammy strawberry filling sandwiched between layers of buttery shortbread and toasted almonds?
The tart base and crumb topping are one and the same and come together easily while the strawberries macerate for a short stint in a sprinkling of sugar, a splash of vanilla, and fresh lemon juice.
Why you’ll love this strawberry almond tart
The tart emerges golden and bubbly from the oven ready to be dusted with powdered sugar and is lovely in narrow, nibbly bars, or larger pie-like slices. Equally delicious any way you slice it.
The easy, press-in crust works well with gluten-free flour. And, for a dairy free version, I’ve also had good luck using almond milk, and melted coconut oil in place of the butter. If you go the latter route, you may need to up the ratio of dry ingredients, as the volume is a little bit different than using traditional butter. Nonetheless, it’s a great back pocket recipe for tempting those with almost any special diet.
You can use just about any fresh fruit you’d like, adjusting the sweetness as needed. Strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries all work well – and be sure to check out my sweet cherry version as well. Happy baking!!
Other easy and delicious strawberry recipes you’ll love:
- Strawberry jam crumble bars
- Strawberry rhubarb crisp
- Roasted strawberries and cream popsicles (vegan)
- Easy strawberry chia jam (vegan)
- Strawberry basil sodas (vegan)
If you make this strawberry almond tart, be sure to tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #forkknifeswoon and leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it! ★★★★★ Star ratings are especially helpful because they help others find my recipes too. xo, LauraPrint
Sweet and fragrant strawberries and crumbly almond shortbread are a perfect match in this strawberry almond tart – a wonderfully simple and delicious Spring dessert. Gluten free friendly.
for the almond crust/crumble:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour ¹
- 1 cup finely-ground almond flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 10 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 Tbsp whole milk
for the strawberry filling:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, sugar, and salt.
- Use your fingers to incorporate the butter into the flour mixture, until it resembles chunky, pea-sized crumbs. Stir in the milk until evenly combined. The crumbs should stick together when pressed between your fingers.
- Press two thirds of the crust mixture into the bottom of a 4×13 inch fluted tart pan (preferably with a removable bottom). Use gentle but firm pressure, and start with the bottom and work your way up the edges.
- Place the tart pan and the remaining crumble mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, stir together the chopped strawberries, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice until combined. Let sit at room temperature while the crust mixture is chilling.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Stir the arrowroot starch into the strawberry mixture. Remove the tart shell from the refrigerator, and fill with the strawberries and juices.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top, along with the sliced almonds.
- Place the tart pan on a rimmed baking sheet to catch any drips or overflow, and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the strawberry filling just begins to bubble, and the crumble topping is golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes before carefully removing from the tart pan and slicing. You may need to (carefully) run a thin knife around the removable bottom edge of the pan to release the tart.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a dusting of confectioners sugar, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream. Enjoy!!
¹ Make it gluten free: Use an all-purpose gluten free flour blend instead of the all-purpose flour.
² Arrowroot starch is my thickener of choice for pies and fruit fillings. It’s a natural plant-based starch that creates a smooth, shiny sauce without a noticeable taste. Substitute cornstarch or tapioca flour as desired.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour.
Keywords: strawberry almond tart, fruit tart, gluten free, berry tart, rectangular tart, strawberry almond dessert, strawberry crumb, almond tart, shortbread, easy, egg free