Our garden got off to a bit of a slow start this year, as ‘Summer’ didn’t really kick in until late July. But after a few weeks of long, hot days, we are finally, thankfully, basking in tomato heaven.
This easy Summer pasta recipe takes full advantage of our August bounty.
Quick burst cherry tomatoes, sweet yellow corn, a few crumbles of tangy goat cheese, and a slathering of umami-rich miso butter, all atop perfectly al dente brown rice pasta… say hello to (late) Summer in a bowl!
This probably is obvious, but look for the sweetest cherry tomatoes you can find. As the tomatoes burst and soften during the cooking process, some of their flavorful tomato juices will seep into the butter and garlic, making up much of the “sauce,” so we want those juices to be really great.
I’m a big fan of Sun Gold cherry tomatoes; they grow like crazy in our Summer veggie garden. Super sweet, full of flavor, and very prolific – we enjoy them all Summer long, tossing the bright little tomatoes into salads and tomato sauces, and snacking straight off the vine.
Miso might be unexpected, but adds a subtle and welcome umami to the dish. Combined with the butter and sweet, seasonal veggies, this Summer pasta is bold and flavorful, despite its few ingredients.
I will add goat cheese to just about anything, but the mild tang and creaminess here, even with a light hand, is a nice complement to the sweetness of the corn and tomatoes. All around this screams August and it’s been on repeat lately. Enjoy!
- 4 oz brown rice pasta
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp miso
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- fresh basil, to taste
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions, about 9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash together 2 Tbsp of butter with the miso until well combined. Set aside.
- Melt the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally until just golden. Add the cherry tomatoes, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, until the tomatoes soften and begin to burst, their released juices combining with the butter to form a thin sauce.
- Add the corn to the skillet, and cook for a minute or two. Add the cooked and drained pasta, along with the reserved miso butter, and stir to combine and heat through. Sprinkle the goat cheese on top, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm!